PS4 VPN provides a secure connection between your PS4 and the VPN servers. All communications between your Xbox and the VPN are encrypted and sent through a secure tunnel over the Internet, preventing outsiders from spying on your web activity. You can securely connect to a VPN service and surf the web from their servers, using their IP addresses.
There are lots of reasons to use a PS4 VPN service such as establishing a secure connection over an insecure network, accessing censored or region specific web content, hiding p2p sharing activity or blocking DDOS attacks on PS4.
The connection between your PS4 and the VPN is secure, but the connection between the VPN and the rest of the web isn’t. Your activity on the web can be monitored and traced back to the VPN IP addresses, but cannot be traced back to your own IP address. When you use a Xbox VPN no one can trace your web activity back to you (insert obligatory meme).
How a VPN works
A VPN works by creating an encrypted connection between your computer/device and a VPN server. Think of this encrypted connection as a protected “tunnel” through which you can access everything online, while appearing to be in the location of the server you are connected to. This gives you a high level online anonymity, provides you with added security, and allows you to access the entire internet without restrictions.
Without a VPN, everything you do online is traceable to your physical location and the device you are using via the device’s IP address. Every device that connects to the internet has a unique IP address – from your computer to your phone and tablet. By using a VPN, you will hide your true location and IP address, which will be replaced by the VPN server you are using.
Most VPN providers maintain servers all around the world. This gives you lots of connection possibilities and access to worldwide content.
After purchasing a VPN subscription and downloading the software for your device, you can instantly connect to any of these worldwide servers.
Now that you know how a PS4 VPN works lets check out the benefits.
What are the benefits of using a VPN service
- Surf the internet without revealing your real IP address and geo-location.
- Add an extra level of security by encrypting your internet connection.
- Prevent your internet service provider (ISP), third parties, network admins (at school or work), and governments from spying on your online activities (thanks to encryption).
- Unblock websites and access content that is restricted to certain geographic locations. (netflix and kodi)
- Torrent, P2P download, and stream media (such as Kodi) in safety.
- Bypass censorship by easily getting around regional restrictions.
- Save money on flights and other online purchases by changing your IP address (geographic location).
- Protect yourself from hackers anywhere you go – especially while using public WiFi connections in cafés, hotels, and airports.
- Protect your private data, such as bank passwords, credit cards, photos, and other personal information when online.
- Booting users offline and not revealing your IP Address / Geo Location.
Security Tips and Considerations
In today’s world almost everyone needs a VPN and is one of the most important tools to have when connecting to the internet. When hacking or sending a dos attack its critical to consider that connecting to a website or using an IP booter against someone/company, your IP address will be leaked and displayed on the server logs.
If they (CIA, Hackers, NSA, or any government intelligence company) traced back an attack to a website that you used online they can disclose your IP Address and thus will reveal your home location and possibly charge you for cyber crime.
What is the best FREE PS4 VPN service?
“When something is free, you are the product.”
This famous quote certainly holds true for “free” VPNs because you are likely paying for the service with your private data, which is sold to third parties.
Just like with Google and Facebook, free VPN services will offer a free product that collects your data for profit. Here are five well-documented reasons showing why free VPN services are dangerous:
- Malware – Malware is often hidden in free VPN services to collect your data. One study found malware in 38% of free VPN apps for Android devices
- Tracking – Tracking libraries hidden in free VPNs are also used for data collection. The popular Betternet free VPN app was found to contain 14 different tracking libraries.
- Third party access to your data – Everything you do through a free VPN could be provided to third parties – and many VPNs explicitly state this in their privacy policies. Hotspot Shield was publicly called out for doing this by the Center for Democracy and Technology.
- Browser hijacking – Some free VPNs have been found to hijack and redirect browsers to e-commerce sites, such as Alibaba and eBay, through partner networks.
- Traffic leaks – This is perhaps the greatest risk for people using a free VPN because it exposes your identity. One study found that 84% of free Android VPN apps leaked user data, thereby rendering the VPN useless.
Many people who are new to VPN services start out by looking for a free VPN in order to save money, rather than searching for the best VPN that will keep their data safe.
This is a bad idea. Free VPN services have become notorious for making money off their users in a variety of insidious ways.
The truth is that these free VPN services are actually cashing in on their user base – usually by collecting user data and then selling it to the highest bidder. When you route your traffic through a free VPN app on your device, the VPN can easily collect your online activity and sell this to third parties and advertising networks.
VPN’s to Avoid
- Hotspot shield
- Hola VPN
- Opera Free VPN
In short, free VPNs are both dangerous and invasive so its best to avoid them completely! Now lets check which VPN providers you should use.
The Best PS4 VPN available
In an overcrowded VPN market, ExpressVPN continues to stand out from the rest and remains the top recommendation. It is based in the British Virgin Islands and offers secure, user-friendly apps for all devices.
ExpressVPN is also among the best VPN services for privacy and security. Their no logs policies have been verified through real-world tests with a server seizure in Turkey (all customer data remained secure). ExpressVPN’s apps utilize strong AES 256-bit encryption and the highest standards for leak protection – the “Network Lock” kill switch feature.
ExpressVPN is also one of the best PS4 VPN for streaming and blocking booter attacks. Whether you are using a VPN for Kodi or need the best VPN for Netflix, ExpressVPN offers great apps for streaming devices and high-capacity bandwidth for HD videos and downloads.
Their customer service is also top-notch, with 24/7 live chat support and a 30 day money-back guarantee with all subscription plans. Regardless of whether you need a VPN for privacy, security, streaming, or just browsing the web, ExpressVPN remains the best all-around VPN
- Excellent speeds throughout the server network
- User-friendly and reliable VPN apps (support for all devices)
- Strong encryption, great security features, and no leaks
- Located in a privacy-friendly jurisdiction (BVI)
- Proven no logs VPN provider
- Large, secure server network, servers running in RAM-disk mode
- Works with Netflix, great for streaming
- Browser extensions with HTTPS Everywhere
- PS4 VPN to block booter attacks
- Split tunneling feature
- Great Android and iOS apps
- Dedicated VPN router app (for unlimited connections)
- Great customer support (24/7 live chat + 30 day money-back guarantee)
How to use, setup and connect your VPN on PS4
- Get yourself Express VPN here
- Follow the video instructions below to set up and connect your PS4 VPN